Monday, May 14, 2012

A Motherly Herb

I hope all of you had a fantastic mother's day yesterday. In honor of the weekend, I thought I would mention a herb that's so kind "mother" is even in its scientific name: Matricaria chamomilla. Also known as German Chamomile.
Found this beautiful photo on an herbal remedy site.
You've most likely have heard of chamomile tea. I've even mentioned it a few times on here. But how can this beautiful flower help you?

Chamomile has anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and anti-bacterial properties. That covers a lot of ailments. Everything from using the anti-inflammatory to reduce IBS to fighting disease with one of chamomile's active anti-bacterial ingredients, Azulene. It's also a good fever reducer & does wonders for an upset stomach. I've also read that it helps skin ailments like rashes & eczema.


As long as you're not allergic to ragweed, chamomile is the most gentle herb to consume. In fact it's not only safe for kids, it helps with a wide range of childhood complaints like colic & teething.


But to get to the reason as to why a cup of chamomile tea is a woman's best friend. Outside of the benefits I already mentioned, Chamomile can also relieves menstrual cramping, heartburn for expecting mothers, and anxiety. It truly is a herb of wonders. It's the number one herb I mention to my friends (especially if they have kids).


There are different ways you can enjoy this beautiful flower. I frequently just have some chamomile tea with local honey. If you do decide to make a hot cup of tea, be sure to cover and let it seep for 15-20 minutes. If not, some of the beneficial, volatile oils could evaporate and all you have left is flavored water. 

Chamomile tea is super easy to find. But this year, I hope to be able to harvest my own chamomile. So far, it's turning out quite beautifully. To harvest this herb, you need to trim the flower right before it blooms & let it dry.
Crazy to think this all came for a few seeds
 A few dried chamomile flowers in a bath also said to make a pleasant, relaxing experience. That allows your skin to take in the benefits. And if you add it to boiling water, you can breathe in the steam mix which will break down mucus in the throat & lungs. This flower really is a cure all of basic ailments.

1 comment:

  1. you had me, until allergic to ragweed... :(

    ReplyDelete