Thursday, October 13, 2011

All About Pumpkins: Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Every October, I try to find new, great ways to enjoy pumpkin. In case you're wondering why you should try the delicious gourd, I covered that too!

I'd like to introduce you to a sweet, sweet pumpkin and pecan pie. I developed it from my chocolate pecan pie (that's another recipe for later), so it's super easy! Here's what you will need for this hybrid of thanksgiving desserts.
The knife marks were me checking on it

- 3 eggs
- 1 c of dark corn syrup
- 1/2 c of sugar
- 4 Tbs of butter (melted or warmed)
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 c of chopped pecan
- 1 pie shell (I used Pillsburry's pre-made) 




While pre-heating the oven to 350, whisk the eggs, syrup, sugar, butter, pumpkin, cinnamon & nutmeg together. If you are looking for the perfect crust, I just laid my awesome recycled foil around the top edge of the crust.

But enough about the tin foil, let's get back to the pie! After you lay down the crust, dump and spread out the chopped pecans on the bottom of the crust. After that comes my favorite part, pouring the mix onto the crust, over the nuts.
Had to show off my husbands photo skills
Simply put the pie in the oven, and let it bake! Let it sit in the oven for 45 minutes before you take it out, take off the foil around the crust, and then put it back in the over for 15 minutes. And ta daa...
And it was a great dessert with some awesome twice baked penne I made the other night! I would say it's not as yummy as my chocolate pecan pie, but it is a fall staple.

And if you are 100% certain that you do not want to cook with pumpkin, keep reading. I also cover a new way to you can use this amazing gourd.

No comments:

Post a Comment