Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Squirrel Be Gone

So this week is a bit of a lull. I guess that's what happens when you live a "normal" life. But I did start a few interesting projects.


First, the squirrel repellent. As many of you know, a bunch of horrendous squirrels ransacked my beautiful tomato plants. All of our tomatoes vanished overnight! Thankfully, there are some blooms in progress, but I'm not about to let those varmints get those too! So my father-in-law suggested I try this green pest repellent.
What you'll need: Cayenne pepper powder, jalapeño pepper, white onion, hot sauce, coffee filter (to strain) and cheap water bottle
It only took a few ingredients: a white onion, a jalapeño pepper, cayenne pepper powder, and a 2 ounce bottle of hot sauce! You might also want to get a cheap spray bottle, because you will not want to put anything else where the spray was.


The process is pretty easy, just a bit painful to the nose & eyes. First, start a pot of boiling water. While the water is heating, cut up the white onion and pepper. Once the water is boiling, slide the onion & pepper in then add cayenne pepper powder. Let it sit for 10 minutes. 

Brewing Squirrel Repellent
 Apparently during these slow 10 minutes, my husband decided to try the repellent because is smelled like a "kickin'" hot sauce. Here's how that went.


Loving that "Kickin'" Hot Sauce!
After that comes the grueling process of straining the concoction into a bowl. I used a coffee filter and it took forever. I was coughing the entire time. A cheese cloth maybe better. After you strained, mix the entire bottle of hot sauce into the liquid.


After that, I used a funnel to pour the mixture into a spray bottle. We are now ready and armed to repel squirrels! 
Armed & Dangerous!
So far, I have not seen any squirrels lurking about, but there's not really any tomatoes left to tempt them. And the spray is not doing any harm to the tomato plants. I was advised to re-spray after each rain. I will let you know how well it works after a few new tomatoes grow. For one last kick here's my (poorly drawn) interpretation of the demon squirrels that stole our tomatoes.


That's prime Photoshop & drawing skills there!
Another project in the works is some essential orange oil from an orange peel. It is not quite as easy as my other essential oils, so we shall see how it goes! 


I have one last shameless plug for this week. I finally surrendered to the social media war and joined Twitter! Now you are free to check out my random thoughts and links on my twitter account. And please, please, please help me out by sharing your thoughts. I want to read what you like or hate about Limelight Musings or what you would like the next post to be! So pretty, pretty please talk to me, world!

1 comment:

  1. Okay so I finally sat down and read....alllll of your blogs! and might I say, very clever. I am going to have to try some of those, preferably when I get a stable job and we get a house, or at least a place with more room to do the crafty stuff. Kitchen is too small right now and no room for storage, let alone no garden :(

    ReplyDelete